on the family bed
by
Frank Waaldijk
When I was younger, I swore I wouldn't co-sleep.
"Cribs are where babies are supposed to sleep."
Well, that's what I used to think.
It all started with Cassidy. When we brought her home from the hospital, I couldn't bare to be apart from her. She spent her first night at home in our bed, with me curled around her swaddled newborn body. She was a very good sleeper, and she was soon moved into her bassinet and then into her crib. But every morning, she would be brought into our bed as soon as she'd wake up. I missed her so much while she slept (9-10 hours straight since she was 3 months old!). So Tom or I would get her as soon as she started to make those waking up noises. We needed our cuddle time with her. In our bed. She really spoiled me.
Then Seth was born. He had reflux and was on an apnea monitor for his first month. He was, once again, taken into our bed.
Same with Jonah Bologna. Minus the monitor.
Same with Miss Janessa.
Same with Our Mandrew.
And now, Micah Man.
I found that cute painting of the family bed, and it captures how our nights are. Add in a cat or two, and it's US.
My older 4 have graduated to their own beds, and have been successful lone sleepers for many years now. Andrew has taken well to his toddler bed too, but he still "visits" us on occasion. Micah is our last baby to share our bed. He is a really good sleeper too, just like Cassidy was. He doesn't need me at night any more, and I am finding that I'm missing that quiet middle-of-the-night cuddle time with him.
I need to admit something here. There have been times that I've quietly stolen Micah out of his bassinet and brought him to bed in the middle of the night. I know I shouldn't do it. He's sound asleep, peacefully dreaming, but I can't deprive myself of those sweet cuddles that can only happen at 3 am.


2 comments:
Stop saying all this stuff about newborns and cuddling! You are making my crazy baby hungry! ;o) Those are precious thoughts, Kellie. Ones your kids will love reading when they get older. If they don't already know how much you love them, they will. :)
You are an amazing mother. Your kids are lucky to have you. I love how you refer to each of them by their cute nicknames. What a fun thing to write about because it obviously won't be that way forever.
Post a Comment