We had a stake wide meeting tonight, to celebrate the "birthday" of the organization of the Relief Society in March of 1842. Our wonderful stake president spoke to us after we enjoyed a yummy dinner and birthday cakes. His message was a good reminder for me, especially at this point in my life.
He told the story of Mary and Martha. While both sisters were doing what they thought was the "right" thing, Jesus declared that Mary (who was sitting at His feet) had chosen that good part, which will not be taken from her.
I was sitting by my friend during this time, and we both looked at each other and said,
"I'm a Martha." :)
I know that I'm that way because I'm a mom. It's hard for me to put down my current projects and take some time for myself to nourish my soul and my spirit. I feel like I'm always taking care of the kids and my husband: serving them, cleaning up after them, making sure they are happy and healthy.
Actually, I long to be like both of these sisters in the Bible. I strive to keep an organized, clean, happy home. But I also strive to live a Christlike life and chose that good part. It can be a struggle to balance it all. We are taught to have a house of order. So to do that, we need to take the time and effort to accomplish that commandment. But I think the secret is not getting distracted by the little things. We don't need to let ourselves be worried and troubled about many things. We need to make the choice to indulge in the Spirit, and to find those treasures that God so freely gives to us.
Children need to be played with and loved, husbands need to feel appreciated, and we need to be of service to our neighbors. How can we do that if our spirits are running on empty? We need to put away our little distractions and find the real treasures of this life.
And I don't think my real treasure is a spotless kitchen floor.
It's the time I spent talking with Cassidy about her day, the card game I played with Seth, it's the book I read aloud with Jonah, the game of Little Ponies I played with Janessa, it's the game of hide and seek I played with Andrew, and the belly kisses I give Micah. It's also the time when we are all on our knees in prayer, or gathered around the piano singing Primary songs. It's when we are talking around the dinner table about what we did that day, and when we read our scriptures together.
Those are my treasures. The good part.


3 comments:
Thank you for the reminder! i need to remember that when jake is begging to play candyland with me!
So true, so true. Great post!
So true, Kellie. Thanks for the reminder. :)
Post a Comment