Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Detour

So this morning I picked up my carpool kids, and their mom came out to warn me of bad traffic on Bangerter Highway. She said their oldest daughter had to take a long detour on her way to high school this morning because of an accident. She wasn't able to turn north where she needed to, and the officers made everyone turn south and go all the way around.

I was able to get the kids almost to the school, but instead of allowing us to cross over Bangerter Highway, they made us turn south and go around the long way. It was frustrating because the school is RIGHT THERE across the highway, but we weren't allowed the cross! So I turned south, decided against getting in the left turn lane at the next light (the line was backed up really far!), and turned right instead. Then I pulled into a parking lot and turned around to get ready to cross over the highway and take the side streets. There was NO WAY I was getting back on Bangerter after I saw that traffic.

I was able to make our way to school, slowly inching along. The kids were only 10 minutes late, but there were a lot of late kids any way. As I was driving home, I saw all the cars that were around me that had gotten back on Bangerter Highway. They were just barely returning to the light where we were forced to turn south. I patted myself on the back for finding a faster way to school and not waiting in that long line of cars.

This brings me to the point of my post this morning. There was a police officer directing traffic in the middle of the intersection. Now, this is a busy intersection (9800 S and Bangerter, for those in Utah), and northbound lanes were closed. He stood out there and motioned at the lanes of cars when it was their turn to go, but he was pretty rude about it. Several times I saw him point and shake his hand at drivers if they didn't move fast enough. It was pretty confusing, I admit, and people were frustrated at being stuck in that horrible traffic. Plus, the lights were totally worthless because he was directing, so each car was somewhat hesitant and cautious any way. But from what I saw, everyone was trying to be as safe as possible and go when they were directed to go. He was not very patient or nice about it at all. When I got up to the front of the line, I waited for him to motion for our lane to go. He turned and pointed sternly at me and waved me forward. I pressed down the accelerator and he pointed at me again and motioned me forward in a very exaggerated way. Like I wasn't moving at all..... urgh!!

I realize he was doing his job, and I'm sure it's stressful standing out there in th middle of traffic, but everyone was doing their best, ya know?? No need to be all rude and act like a jerk.

2 comments:

SarahAnne said...

Sounds like a good story for what the heck Wednesday. He must have been really frustrated.

Hey... your hubbs is upstairs working his magic on our cabinets. I hope he'll still be friends with us after it's all done. My DH is quite picky. :)

Amy said...

UGHHH!! I heard about that mess on the news this morning. Sorry you got caught up in it!